Friday, January 22, 2010

The Challenge

A good bit of stuff has been worked on and 2 tiny paintings completed since the last post - none of it blogged about of course. I've had a good run of art everyday since December - only missed a few, and some days were only 3 one minute sketches, or reading art books in the tub....but hey, that counts too!

But now I have a challenge... am I up for it? No idea, but I'm going to try anyway!

5 paintings in 6 weeks

Rick and I are going to apply for a show based on our trip to Venice. He's of course already got his 10 best photos picked out and ready to burn to CD. I've managed to go through my 1046 reference photos and narrow it down to a few hundred to paint! Since I didn't have any time to do any sketching there, I figured I could relive the trip and do it from here.

Painting 1: Santa Maria della Salute and Dogana di Mare from Piazza San Marco

This one is actually a collaboration. Rick took the photo and I'll be doing the "rig removal and color correction". You'll see when I post the reference picture.

This was going to be a large watercolor, but then I realized that my transfer paper marks are not erasing like they did from my test sheet, so now I'll be doing a mixed media with acrylics. It's been something I've been meaning to try anyway... so now I have to!

For you "purists" - yes I can draw, I just prefer to spend my painting time painting and unless you're also trying to make art while taking care of a small child then I don't think you have a right to judge! So there! :P

No comments: